Thursday 3 November 2011

“The book that made your world”


“The book that made your world”, by Vishal Mangalwadi, describes how the bible and its values have shaped the way we see our world today.  It is thoughtful, discussing the more profound values in any culture, for example, what characteristics make a “hero”, views on education, views on truth and being, and the use and value of  literature.  I really liked and learnt from Mangalwadi’s long-term view of history, going back to the middles ages and earlier, to really get a broad overview of how today came to be as it is.  Mangalwadi also writes from an Indian perspective, giving examples from India’s past that underscore his point.

I have to be honest and admit that reading this book was a struggle at times.  It was very long, with quite complex ideas presented.  To me, it had the tone of a very scholarly discussion, more of a textbook that one might refer to when writing a university paper.  I felt that if I had a little more knowledge of church history or Indian culture I would have ploughed through it a little easier.  I am also really not in a stage of life to be reading scholarly tomes; I need a quick easy read, so this one was just not right for me.

Despite this book not being suited to my preferences, I still give it 4 stars for being a well written and insightful read. I would recommend it to confident and experienced readers who love an intellectual discussion.

The complimentary copy of this book was provided to me by the Thomas Nelson Booksneeze program in exchange for an impartial review.


No comments:

Post a Comment